One-to-One Presentation

I spent most of my day listening to an audiobook of the Official TED Guide to Public Speaking while doing everything else - driving, walking, shaving, etc. That seemed to foreshadow the rest of the day, because everything else in the day was about presentations. One-to-one presentations to be sure, but presentations nonetheless.
In the library, I ran across an acquaintance who was studying Economics. I mentioned that I enjoy the theory of economics, but haven't taken the class. She said she hated it. I related some stories from Freakonomics that have interesting conclusions - real estate agents tend to sell their own houses for more than their clients' houses, sumo wrestling has corruption, hot dog eating competitions are really weird, drug dealers don't make nearly as much money as we think they do - until I showed how economics drives each of those stories and each of our lives. She seemed more open to Economics afterwards, but maybe I'm just flattering myself that she's more open to Economics now.
I taught a few lessons that were tailor-made to those students: The examples were chosen out of songs they requested, the lesson material was to help them get better in the ways they want to improve, and the homework assignments were set by the students themselves to help them get closer to their goals for the month. Now I need to go study the songs they asked for more so I can answer more questions about their songs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrowing

A Need for the Spirit

Sick - Yesterday's Post