A New Leaf for My Piano Teaching

Today demonstrated 3 ways that my piano teaching has changed recently:
1) I went to the Media Production Center on Campus to record a new video. I've been recording instructional videos on piano teaching so people can watch the contents of all my lessons online for a smaller fee than in-person lessons would be. Unfortunately, I didn't decide very well what to talk about in today's instructional video, and I've got plenty of stuff to do before instructional videos become very useful. So after about 20 minutes of meandering in my talking, I realized I had nothing ready to say today. I finally decided on something to say, but it would take half an hour to film and half an hour to transfer the files. As soon as that take started, a fire drill happened. By the time the fire drill ended, I didn't have the hour I needed, so I decided "I guess I wasn't supposed to say anything today."
2) During my piano practice today, I filmed a short video of what Hedwig's Theme (the main theme from Harry Potter) would sound like if Hans Zimmer (the most influential soundtrack composer of the century) scored one of the Harry Potter movies. I posted it to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and while my pages don't have that strong of a following (493, 37, and 43 followers, respectively, at the time of this writing), this one video led to each of these followings growing by 2 people. This video had a lot more engagement on social media than most of my other posts because it was both kairotic (Harry Potter's birthday is today and Hans Zimmer has recently become a rock star in the soundtrack music world) and intriguing: Nobody had thought about the question, but once they heard the question, it was something they genuinely wanted an answer to. I hope to put out more videos with those criteria, or perhaps even better criteria.
3) Some students gave some very vague song requests: "Hymns", "Songs by Reba" (I had to find out it was Reba McEntire), and "Classical music". So I went looking up pieces people would actually know from categories like those so my students would probably know these. Do you realize how many classical pieces nobody knows the name for? If you want a good example, go check out La Donna E Mobile. Once I heard their songs, I would make a note of every interval to recognize and every part that's particularly easy to play.
So I've been improving my teaching by making instructional videos, advertising online with videos that would catch the public's eye, and researching students' songs a lot closer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrowing

A Need for the Spirit

Sick - Yesterday's Post