Party Games

My sister-in-law's birthday party was tonight, so I joined in for some party games. There are a lot of games I don't like and a lot of games I do like, but it's really hard for other people to figure out which ones I'll like. Everyone at the party was really nice about the fact that I just don't like some of the games, so they picked games that I would actually enjoy. I appreciated that.
While people were deciding which games to play, my brother told them that what makes me like a game is when an individual turn is just as much fun or more fun than the act of winning. With most games, I work through the process for an hour and a half, and the most fun part is reaching a certain goal, and reaching the goal gives me15 seconds of enjoyment. And since gloating isn't fun for me, I feel like I'm not even allowed to enjoy the victory. I'd rather have something where the gameplay is so much fun that I'm not thinking about winning. I also brought up something I've been thinking about what games I like and don't like - it all comes down to how the game is described. A lot of people describe games as what you need to do to win. I don't want to know what I have to do. I want to know why I'd want to do it. It always sounds like I just got told everything I have to do without getting any chance to enjoy the game itself. I want to play a game when I hear what makes the game fun: "The cards change the rules" (Fluxx), or "Everything can be a form of 'currency' in this game" (The Lord of the Rings: Trading Card Game), or "Your deck is a little different every turn" (Legendary). I brought up that "for some reason" most people describe games by focusing on what you have to do, not what makes it fun, and my brother explained that for most gamers, what you have to do IS what makes it fun. I'll have to find out what I find fun in a game that people can describe.
Anyway, those were my main thoughts today about being around people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrowing

A Need for the Spirit

Sick - Yesterday's Post