Afraid of Commitment

OK, time to get personal. I'm sorry. I went on a date with an awesome girl today. I'd been praying to be wise about this date, because I wanted to know if she's the kind of girl I should be dating and if I should be dating her specifically. Well, I got an answer to both questions: That she is the kind of girl I should be dating, but that I shouldn't be dating her specifically. She's going on a mission in 4 months, and I don't plan on actively waiting for anyone for 2 years. Not because it shouldn't be done. I just... well, let's be honest. I'm afraid of commitment. I said I'm a flirt. I meant it. I seriously don't know that I'll ever be able to commit to any particular girl no matter how great she is. And I'm genuinely worried about that. And if the girl is in a different state or country for 18 months? There's no way I'd be able to stay faithful to her. So I'd just rather not make the commitment to someone going on a mission.
Tonight, I was watching clips from The Big Bang Theory, which included a clip of a DTR. The girl was hesitant about getting back in this relationship. The guy was all in favor of getting back in the relationship. After a few minutes, the guy asked, "What are you afraid of?" I had to ask myself the same question. The answer for me was "Being wrong, wasting time, and investing a lot of emotional effort into it." Of course, I waste a lot of time, but I'm afraid of going in the wrong direction for a really long time.
Then I argued briefly with my "ex". I'm not really sure what to call her, but "ex" works for these purposes. And we both acknowledged that the other has been a bad influence on our lives. And I'm afraid to be a bad influence on someone else's life or to have someone else be a bad influence on mine. And I'm afraid to regret allowing someone else to be intimately part of my life.
That said, I'm worried about tomorrow's date. I'm worried that one of us (if not both) will get too emotionally attached to the other and that things will just go poorly from there, or at least, that later on down the road, I'll remember things as "just going downhill from there".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrowing

A Need for the Spirit

Sick - Yesterday's Post