Broken Things

I got to work to overcome a significant character weakness today: I have this problem where I stick with the way things are even if the way things are is intolerable. It's mostly because I don't like change.
This afternoon, I realized that the wi-fi in the BYU Practice Rooms was intolerable. I was teaching a Skype lesson in there and getting paid for it, but the wi-fi ended my Skype lesson 3 times in 5 minutes. I eventually told my student that I would try a different room, went to the Wilkinson Center, and tried the better version of wi-fi that's all across Campus. While the wi-fi worked, the Wilkinson Center turned out to be the busiest room on the entire campus. In 30 minutes, 3 different people asked to use the piano I was already on. So that was intolerable as well. So next time, I'll be using the better wi-fi in the practice room I was originally in. That should work just fine.
When I got home, I noticed that my hair was unruly and didn't look that good even after I got out of the shower. I have a friend who offered me a free haircut as soon as her schedule clears up, but she's booked for the next 2 months unless someone cancels. I decided today that I wasn't OK with waiting 2 months to get a haircut or waiting until anyone cancels, so I contacted a guy who offered me a $5 haircut, and I'll see how good he is.
Every time I go to the temple, I'm reminded of how poorly fitting one piece of sacred clothing is on me. It should fit. It doesn't. It always falls off. So I decided it's time to get a new one.
When I shaved, I cut myself at least 6 times. So I decided "I have an offer to get $19 if I sign up for a $5 offer from the Dollar Shave Club." I'm sure there are more strings attached, but getting $19 off of a razor subscription that prides itself on being cheap has to be ridiculously cheap no matter how much the original razors cost. So I finally signed up for the Dollar Shave club.
All of these are really big steps for me to learn to stop settling for the way things are and reach for the way things could and should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrowing

A Need for the Spirit

Sick - Yesterday's Post