Friend Zone

A few weeks ago, I prayed about whether I should pursue a romantic relationship with a particular girl. The answer came: "No. She is not what you want." I didn't have the foggiest idea as to why. She seemed like a great girl, my family approved of her, and it was easy to talk with her and get along with her. So I kept going on dates with her. Today, I got a reminder of a Facebook post I'd liked. Something along the lines of "If God says 'no', leave it alone. Period." Well, tonight, she took me on a date. Afterwards, I told her that I like her romantically. She said that she likes me, too, and neither of us really knew what to do now that that information is out in the open. We kept talking about what we were already talking about, and the conversation had opportunities to deepen, but we barely ever took them. I realized that our conversations are all really casual, usually centered around movies, and never really probe deep enough. The fact that we both admitted romantic attraction for each other and the relationship didn't change tells me that being in a relationship with her probably isn't a good idea.
I realized after a while that I was never really attracted to her particularly. I wanted to express affection and I fantasized about her, but that was because she was the only girl I'd gotten close to and I waned to experience romance with someone I was close with. Besides, the fact that we're already such good friends seemed like a good idea for a romantic relationship. But now I can see that it would be a bad idea, and if I didn't place her in the "friend zone" in my mind a long time ago, I certainly did in my mind tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrowing

A Need for the Spirit

Sick - Yesterday's Post